Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Welcome to the Visions For Literacy Blog!

Welcome to the Visions for Literacy blog!  We often have so many conversations about our
work around literacy that we wanted to add the thoughts and experiences of the many
hard-working thoughtful teachers, leaders and literacy enthusiasts to our conversations.  
Here is our attempt at making that happen. Let us first begin by introducing ourselves.


Hi!  My name is Kanika Mobley.  I’m in the midst of my 19th year 
professionallyin education, however, I’ve worked to support students in various 
school settings for almost 25. I’ve served as a teacher leader and/or instructional 
coach in both traditional public and charter schools in Atlanta, Washington, D.C, 
and New York City.  I am currently an independent literacy consultant working with 
schools to develop practices that will help students become more engaged and 
thoughtful readers and writers. I have a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership. 
I currently live in Brooklyn, NY and am intrigued by the always developing drama of 
my middle schooler.


I began my career as a Kindergarten teacher in Atlanta, GA and that’s when I fell in 
love with teaching reading.  While I’ve taught Pre-K-2nd grade, it is Kindergarten, when 
you see 4 and 5-year-olds enter the classroom in late summer thinking and sometimes 
saying “I don’t know how to read” turn into kids that proudly proclaim ”I’m a reader”.  
Before your eyes, they develop so many methods and strategies for understanding other 
people’s ideas and stories and then begin creating their very own. Books are magical. 
I take no greater joy than seeing kids find that magic in the books of others, laughing out 
loud at a humorous part, getting lost in the drama of characters, finding the life lessons 
that help them develop empathy for others.  Not only do I enjoy seeing them embrace it 
from other authors, but I find immense joy in watching them create it themselves for the 
world to enjoy.

Hello! My name is Mary Bradbury. I am a 20 plus year elementary educator. 
I have worked in district schools in Minnesota. I taught Reading Recovery for eight years, 
as well as 2nd and 3rd  grade and Title I. After leaving the classroom, I spent four years 
as a literacy leader/coach in a large urban district.  I am currently an independent 
literacy consultant working with elementary school leaders and teachers around the 
country to improve literacy instruction and student achievement. I have a Master’s 
Degree in Educational Leadership. I have two grown children and I currently live in 
Minneapolis, Minnesota.  


I began my career as a part-time Title I teacher in Minnesota. I had an opportunity to
train to become a Reading Recovery teacher and that’s when I fell in love with literacy
and became passionate about struggling readers. Throughout my career, I have seen 
how teachers struggle to know how to teach reading and especially how to help  
struggling readers. I want to help teachers work smarter not harder and utilize their time 
with students. I have been told many times that I have an arsenal of ideas and I enjoy 
sharing what I have learned along my journey with other teachers. 

We can't wait to continue the conversation with you! Please comment below with any 
topics that you are interesting in discussing. 

Kanika & Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment